Head of Mobile
msk.ai (myrecovery) is a digital surgery platform. We are focused on orthopaedic surgery and our mission is to improve the lives of people living with joint pain. Our technology connects the global orthopaedic community and we work with patients, surgeons, universities and leading life science companies. Through shared learning, we can accelerate research and develop smart tools to advance patient outcomes.
Our work has recently been featured in the Sunday Times and BBC News, and our exciting research into AI and robotics has been featured in the BBC Click and can be viewed here. We launched in 2016 and we are growing rapidly across the UK, Europe, US and Australia.
Our outwardly-visible products are a native mobile app for patients, and a healthcare data dashboard for clinicians, but there’s a lot more going on under the bonnet - our platform is focused on capturing, processing and reporting data. We have developed smart infrastructure allowing us to do this globally whilst remaining compliant with regional healthcare regulation. We also have an R&D team focused on Computer Vision / Machine Learning, generating patented technology being productised within the platform.
Our aim is to empower people with musculoskeletal injuries or conditions to make better decisions in a digital world, while enabling healthcare professionals to care for more patients in a safer, smoother and more informed way.
We are building something big together. As a start-up we like to roll our sleeves up, whilst at the same time nurturing your individual goals and ambitions.
About the role
We are now seeking a Head of Mobile to help us take the myrecovery native mobile app (iOS and Android) to the next level. This is a key role within the company, mixing team and technical leadership, to deliver the company’s flagship product. The app is also white-labelled and published on the stores in multiple other flavours. We are entering a transition phase where we will scale our app usage by 10x over the next 12-18 months.
We are building something big together. As a start-up we like to roll our sleeves up, whilst at the same time nurturing your individual goals and ambitions. We are looking for problem-solvers who are committed and analytical, keen to learn while always being delivery minded, self-starters for whom everything is possible but the best solution is always the most appropriate one. Above all we want to hire high-energy people that we’ll love working with every day.
The Head of Mobile will have the following responsibilities:
- Lead developer of the myrecovery native mobile app, on Android and iOS. (We have strong source code parity between Swift/Kotlin, achieving good cross-platform efficiency within pure native codebases)
- Supporting and mentoring our existing native mobile developers
- Hiring offshore mobile developers (with support from a local engineering manager), and running that team, progressively handing over more of the routine development, e.g. UI screens
- Taking responsibility for quality and timeliness of all app releases
- Ensuring source code parity across platforms (as far as possible)
- Proactively analysing app quality - including UX, performance, maintainability, test coverage, documentation - and driving initiatives to improve
- Leading technical discussions to the right decisions (democracy of ideas)
- Leading on all aspects of app testing (automated+manual)
The following skills/experience are required:
- Degree in computer science, maths or other technical subject, or equivalent significant commercial experience
- Expert in Android (Kotlin, Java) and highly skilled in iOS (Swift) native app development, including UI, modelling, networking/JSON, object lifecyles
- Experience of deploying and monitoring native app releases
- Strong understanding of best practices for development and testing
- Strong understanding of software design patterns, including UI architectural patterns, particularly in regard to native mobile apps
- Experience of leading a small team
- Humility and desire to learn from anyone
The following skills/experience are desirable:
Salary: Very competitive, depending on experience.
- 25 days paid holiday
- EMI share options scheme
- Pension contributions
- Training budget for professional development
- Bright, modern startup office near Hampstead Heath
- Developer-spec laptop
Our office is based near Hampstead Heath, London. We have been working remotely since March 2020 and expect the development team to continue to work substantially in this manner. You must be prepared to travel to our offices periodically - perhaps once a fortnight - but you are not required to be within commuting distance of the office.
Please send full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE CAN ONLY PURSUE AN INTERVIEW PROCESS WITH APPLICANTS ALREADY RESIDENT IN THE UK. IF YOU ARE NOT RESIDENT IN THE UK PLEASE DO NOT APPLY, AS WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE.